We are thrilled to announce our first Savage Paint Out (Mini Plein Air) in April 2023. During this 3-week-long event (April 1-21), artists of all ages and experience are invited to paint an outdoor scene within the historic town of Savage, MD. Whether you are an experienced artist or have never even picked up a paintbrush before, anyone can participate! The Savage Paint Out culminates in a Public Art Show and Awards Ceremony on Saturday, April 22.
We want to give a huge thanks to our local sponsors Carroll Baldwin Hall, Savage Mill, and HorseSpirit Arts Gallery for making this event a reality.
Join us for three weeks of painting outdoors beginning on April 1, and celebrate with us at an awards show on April 22.
- Online Registration at Eventbrite
- Registration Form can be completed in person at HorseSpirit Arts Gallery
- Registration April 1-21
- No entry fee
- Map of the Savage Geographic Painting Area will be provided
- Painting begins Saturday, April 1st
- Painting ends Friday, April 21st
- Painting must be done outside, “plein air” style
- Artist must paint a scene within the boundaries of the Savage Geographic Painting Area (map provided during registration)
- Artist may work in any medium
- Paintings cannot exceed 16” x 20” in size
- Artist may enter two paintings into the show
Public Art Show and Awards Day:
- When: Saturday, April 22nd from 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Where: Baldwin Common, Savage, MD (Rain location: Carroll Baldwin Hall)
Schedule of Events:
9:00am: Painting Set Up
- Artist must provide an easel for displaying their work and a title for their artwork.
- If the work is for sale, provide a price. Artist is responsible for taking payment directly from the buyer.
10:00am: Public Art Show and Jurying
- Juror Liz Henzey, Director, Columbia Art Center
- Public voting for the “People’s Choice Award”
11:30am: Awards Ceremony and Celebration
- Awards announcement. Winners will be awarded prizes from HorseSpirit Arts Gallery
- 1st Place: $250 Gift Certificate to HorseSpirit Arts Gallery and Savage Mill Gift Basket
- 2nd Place: $100 Gift Certificate to HorseSpirit Arts Gallery
- 3rd Place: $75 Gift Certificate to HorseSpirit Arts Gallery
- Three Honorable Mentions: $25 Gift Certificate to HorseSpirit Arts Gallery
- People’s Choice Award: $100 Gift Certificate to HorseSpirit Arts Gallery and $20 in Savage Mill Bucks
1:00pm: After Party at HorseSpirit Arts Gallery
- Let’s congratulate the winners!
- Visitors can view some of the winning pieces from the Savage Paint Out Art Show
- Celebrate with champagne and cake
Interested in Volunteering? Check out the opportunities here.
The Town of Savage looks forward to welcoming you all to “Build Community through Art!”